i wrote a paper as a senior in high school about this and when tracking the unhealthy relationship symptoms i found this out too. fucking a.
THIS is a legitimate reason to think Twilight is problematic. Not “oooh, but it’s girly literature cause the vampires sparkle and all the teen girls are into Edward”. As funny as some of the sparkly vampires jokes are - and they really sometimes are - Twilight’s very unique take on vampires is the least of the series’ problems, yet this criticism gets heard a lot more than the criticism of people who have noticed that something isn’t quite right in the relationship between Edward and Bella.
Anyone who thinks “it’s so romantic that he wanted to eat her and also snuck into her room without her permission to watch her sleep” really, REALLY needs to…rethink their definition of “romantic.”
so funny story time (and when i say funny i actually mean sad).
one of my students wrote a (very poorly worded) dissertation about bella and edward’s flawlessly romantic relationship. i gave her a D. she sent her mother to talk to me because according to her i was “letting my personal taste cloud my judgment” and “teachers should be objective, judge the form and not the content” (since when?, i might add. but yeah).
i pointed out that her daughter had declared twilight a ‘soul-warming love story’, gave her a pamphlet about abusive relationships and told her to read the books.
she came back two weeks later and apologized.
Yes. All of this. I read the first one and gagged. It was just.. no. Seriously. No.
(via damnsmartblueboxes)Source: whatthefact.net
- greenbeenseen likes this
- owlenthusiast likes this
- nomadictrail likes this
- bobbyjacklyn likes this
- the-old-brag-of-the-heart reblogged this from lacigreen
- macroluna likes this
- flash-aaaah likes this
- ellaphant2120 likes this
- usernamehelena reblogged this from lacigreen
- usernamehelena likes this
- bleedingpaiges reblogged this from lacigreen
- coffeescreamer reblogged this from lacigreen
- must-rebloggy reblogged this from flawlesscumberbatch
- somebodys-rose-tyler reblogged this from itswibblywobblyin221b
- somebodys-rose-tyler likes this
- dark--side-of--the--moon reblogged this from when-he-stomps-with-the-angels
- when-he-stomps-with-the-angels reblogged this from timetravelingdemondetective
- tricktreat102 likes this
- hitohayayoi reblogged this from thehilariousblog
- renfers likes this
- limronlelithe reblogged this from meetmetotheriver
- blog978 likes this
- heartarithmetic reblogged this from needsmoreginger
- quietsuperstitions likes this
- 42bottlesofbeer likes this
- jenndoesnotcare reblogged this from 42bottlesofbeer and added:
- 42bottlesofbeer reblogged this from omegat123 and added:
- omegat123 reblogged this from casuallyakward
- night-sky-is-the-name reblogged this from lacigreen
- bagadew reblogged this from emmysaysmeow and added:
- bagadew likes this
- unidentifiednomenclature reblogged this from casuallyakward
- taakingthelowroad reblogged this from casuallyakward
- mssarahlouise likes this
- my-heart-has-rusted-over reblogged this from viixiie
- my-heart-has-rusted-over likes this
- dysecpro reblogged this from teenyturtle
- teenyturtle reblogged this from viixiie
- teenyturtle likes this
- viixiie reblogged this from virgo-dragon
- cptnchunky likes this
- virgo-dragon reblogged this from teeheekryatio
- teeheekryatio reblogged this from potato-pasta
- emmysaysmeow reblogged this from priisakilljoy
- hipppocampus reblogged this from lacigreen
- dadfarm reblogged this from priisakilljoy
- priisakilljoy reblogged this from infinite-waffles
- meowtoyousir reblogged this from greengreekgeek
- suze-is-amused likes this