In this African tribe, when someone does something harmful, they take the person to the center of the village where the whole tribe comes and surrounds them.
For two days, they will say to the man all the good things that he has done.
The tribe believes that each human being comes into the world as a good. Each one of us only desiring safety, love, peace and happiness.
But sometimes, in the pursuit of these things, people make mistakes.
The community sees those mistakes as a cry for help.
They unite then to lift him, to reconnect him with his true nature, to remind him who he really is, until he fully remembers the truth of which he had been temporarily disconnected: “I am good.”
NABAJYOTISAIKIA, is a compliment used in South Africa and means: “I respect you, I cherish you. You matter to me.” In response, people say SHIKOBA, which is: “So, I exist for you.”
WHY ISN’T THIS A THING IN ALL CULTURES
some day I’m going to create a bingo card for these kinds of posts.
- vague mention of “Africa” and “African tribe” with no actual names of tribes, countries, or languages, because Africa is a country and everyone there is exactly the same obv: check.
- picture of smiling/emotional black people taken completely out of context: check.
- made-up “African” words with deep meanings: check.
- "noble savage" grossness out the wazoo: check.
this photo is a picture of Ghanaian boys playing soccer from Amen: Grassroots Football.
Initial googling says that Shikoba means “feather” in Choctaw, which would mean OP isn’t even on the right damn continent.
(When I look at Choctaw-English dictionaries, though, shikoba doesn’t show up at all; the word for feather seems to be “híshi.” “Shikobli” is a verb meaning “to put on a plume” so maybe there’s some conjugation or gerund going on here? I’d welcome any corrections from actual Choctaw speakers.)
Nabajyoti Saikia is someone’s name. OP just straight-up stole some poor Indian cement chemist’s name for their colonialist hippie bullshit.
Look at this dude. He didn’t spend years of his life writing a goddamn textbook on waste management strategies so that you could use his name to prop up this crock of shit. He’s disappointed in you. Do better.
This is some disgusting orientalistic bullshit, my god.
(via areodesy)Source: enigmatic-being
- growingupya reblogged this from thethinker351
- fishesgetbitches likes this
- cocoabuddahkisses likes this
- tout-se-passe reblogged this from ellenkellr
- cxfee likes this
- golookattheuniverse reblogged this from pale-br0wn-eyes
- theprodigal-son likes this
- belannat likes this
- blue-eyed-mermaid16 likes this
- moniquetheunique likes this
- companioncubette likes this
- micaeladd reblogged this from vintage-conventions
- humanity-of-feminism reblogged this from fiction-saved-my-life
- dragonopal reblogged this from a-long-list-of-fandoms
- mossythoughtss likes this
- painsorrowandroses reblogged this from leth-al
- painsorrowandroses likes this
- nakedhoneybee reblogged this from yogi-mama
- lilla-biet reblogged this from wanderingcoast
- all-i-see-is-science reblogged this from coderqueer
- jpv703 likes this
- shauntazzy reblogged this from deepddowninside
- sidneyraeweldon reblogged this from thethinker351
- dashofdaydreams reblogged this from perilous-wanderer
- euphoric-violins likes this
- deepddowninside reblogged this from perilous-wanderer
- deepddowninside likes this
- the-definition-of--notleaving reblogged this from separatedstreams
- separatedstreams reblogged this from east-coastbliss
- east-coastbliss reblogged this from thethinker351
- east-coastbliss likes this
- talesofbeedle-bard likes this
- perilous-wanderer reblogged this from talesofbeedle-bard
- perilous-wanderer likes this
- talesofbeedle-bard reblogged this from thethinker351
- thethinker351 reblogged this from wanderingcoast
- lanadeluvray likes this
- wanderingstupid likes this
- youcanthavemyfood reblogged this from high--horse
- lookslikesomeonemightberolling reblogged this from wendycorduroy
- sa-raa reblogged this from livinthefool
- madnesswithasideofsanity likes this
- hannahrosejay reblogged this from wanderingcoast
- donutprotectionsquad reblogged this from stz1997
- kill-la-killin-me reblogged this from chrispine-trees
- livinthefool reblogged this from wanderingcoast
- livinthefool likes this
- high--horse reblogged this from wanderingcoast
- gorgon-heart reblogged this from steamsparrow and added:
- wanderingcoast reblogged this from constantstateofadventure